Family: Bambacaceae / Malvaceae
Common Names: Red Silk Cotton Tree, Buboi-gubat
Origin: native species, also reported from India to southern China, and southward to Sumatra and Java.
- it resembles the Kapok, an introduced species
- grows up to 25 m
- we learned about this tree from Dr. Ed Gomez when we were in the Ecology Committee of the village
- he gave us all the saplings from the tree nursery he set up in the village!
- he said that it looks beautiful when it blooms in February and March
- it sheds its leaves and is covered in red flowers that attract a lot of insects
- the insects bring in a lot of birds!
- we intend plant them around the perimeter of the farm.